Saturday, November 13, 2010

Keep the passion alive

What’s the worst thing about living in San Francisco? The air. It’s filthy. I feel like I’m suffocating.

Why do I stay here, then? I don’t know myself, but it might have something to do with the fact that the other night I was able to go to a talk given by Gayln Susman, who works for Pixar Studios. Near the end of the talk I asked her what her biggest piece of advice would be for a student who wanted to enter the animation industry, being myself a student who wants to enter the animation industry.

I expected a practical answer, something like ‘It’s all about networking,’ or, ‘You wanna be an animator? Then you also need to learn how to model and rig and do texturing and lighting,’ because that’s what they keep telling me in my Careers in Animation class.

She thought for a very long time. Finally she said ‘Keep the passion alive. It’s going to be hard work and you’re going to get a lot of no’s before you get a yes, but if you love it and you really, truly want it, keep the passion alive and you’ll get there.’

There are times when I feel like nothing I’m doing out here matters, that maybe I should just go home and start over with something else, anything else.

Then there are times, like these, when I feel like I’m right where I belong.

On that note, I’d like to share a note I came across on another artist’s blog, a message that I found particularly encouraging:

http://aaronhartline.blogspot.com/2010/11/letters-of-note.html

No comments:

Post a Comment